Have the opportunity to share my experience and skills of financial counseling, planning, follow-through, and organizing in a team environment with a progressive, creative, and energetic company. Committed to the process of discovering or developing innovative and functional products and services and marketing them to the end user.
SPECIAL SKILLS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Published author of 5 non-fiction books, one of which is a perennial best-seller (The Budget Kit) with over 400,000 copies in print.
- Founded 2 niche financial services aimed at saving consumers thousands of dollars and dramatically reducing emotional stress and debt.
- Expertise in marketing, media, sales and business in the personal finance, publishing and e-book industries.
- Handle media appearances on national and local television and radio shows naturally and comfortably.
- Present and speak on Basic Money Management topics in an inspiring and easy to understand style.
- Counsel and train individuals, couples, small businesses and groups, innovatively, patiently and positively.
- Author of Common Cent$, The Budget Kit, The Money Tracker, Family Memory Book and Co-author of Daily Riches: Journal of Gratitude and Awareness.
BUSINESS OWNER, AUTHOR, CONSULTANT
Common Cents Budgeting Corporation
Albuquerque, New Mexico 2009 to present
Silicon Valley, CA 2000-2009
Financial Counselor, Budget Coach – Private Practice
- Provide personal, financial counseling to couples, individuals and small businesses.
- Offer non-judgmental, resourceful, encouraging, motivating and practical support.
- Results: reduced debt, increased savings, improved self esteem and financial control.
- Your Money magazine featured my couple clients in May, 1996 issue (front cover.)
- Licensed Professional Mental Health Counselor in New Mexico
Author and Writer
- Author of The Budget Kit: The Common Cents Money Management Workbook – 6th Edition – (2011-Kaplan Publishers) (formerly Common Cent$) In print over three decades. Also featured author on Multimedia CD-ROM/Book Set (1996) – currently out of print. Both by Dearborn Financial Publishing.
- Author of The Money Tracker: A Quick and Easy Way to Keep Tabs on Your Spending – published by Dearborn Financial Publishing (1996).
- Wrote and developed web-based “Personal Budget Plan Program” for Epotec, an online Employee Assistance Program.
- Co-Author of Daily Riches: A Journal of Awareness and Gratitude – published by Health Communications Inc. (May, 1998).
- Author of The Family Memory Book: Highlights of Our Times Together – published by Blue Sky Marketing Inc. (1992).
- Columnist for Albuquerque Tribune in 1994 and 1995.
- Contributing Writer for Your Money magazine.
- Columnist for New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union “Chronicle” Newsletter
- Consultant for first time authors regarding self publishing and publishing industry.
- Book Reader for new books for Dearborn Financial Publishing.
- Featured and quoted over twenty years through national TV, radio, newspapers and magazines including CNBC-TV “Money Club” and “Dollars and Sense”, Iyanla Show, Style Network, Information Network “Dolan’s Smart Money”, Money Magazine Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine and Chicago Sun Times.
Speaker & Workshop Presenter
- Seminars for Customs and Border Patrol, Verizon Wireless South, and private small businesses
- “Managing Your Cash Flow with Heart”, Public presentation in Auckland, New Zealand and Albuquerque, NM
- Keynote speaker for SW Regional Conference of Consumer Credit Counselors and Financial Harmony Fair.
- “Take Control of Your Spending” class at Learning Annex Centers in 1996: San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, New York, Washington D.C.
- Workshops and Seminars for County of Santa Clara, CA, Financial Planners Association of Silicon Valley, Public Service of NM, Sandia Labs, Whitesands Missile Range, University of New Mexico Community Education and numerous organizations, groups, credit unions and businesses over twenty years.
- “Budgeting Fundamentals” seminars and follow-up “Budget Planning Workshops” for New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union.
Divorce and Court Appointed Services
- Appointed by judges as a 706 Expert in divorce cases to help determine alimony needs or other financial budgeting concerns as specified by the courts, lawyers or clients.
- Appointed as Special Master for small business concerns.
- Facilitator for Settlement Week for Second Judicial District Court for three years.
Personal, Home and Small Business Organization Consultant
- Evaluate the personal space and environment and provide hands-on service for reviewing and organizing the environment. Able to streamline chaos into a manageable system.
- Customize each setting based on the individual’s personal style, Attention Deficit Disorder condition or other individual needs.
DIRECTOR OF AUTHOR RELATIONS
AdvisorPress 2003 – 2005
Sunnyvale, CA – Part Time
Director of Author Relations
- Liason for new and current authors between editorial and production departments, facilitating communication, contracts, fees, formatting and royalty overview.
- Follow up on all platforms including Amazon, Palm, MS Reader and Pocket PC
- Develop online author community and enhance list of marketing resources available for authors.
OFFICE MANAGER & VIDEO CONFERENCE SEMINAR COORDINATOR
Sunnyvale Center for Innovation, Invention and Ideas-Patent & Trademarks (Sci3) 2001-2002
Office Manager & Video Conferencing Seminar Coordinator – Patent and Trademark
- Responsible for VTEL video conferencing equipment and arranging interactive training programs between United States Patent and Tradmark Office Patent Academy and the local legal community.
- Conducted needs assessment and developed an automated process for streamlining patent and trademark order processing.
- Developed procedures manual for primary accounting duties.
- Trained and supervised staff and volunteers on order processing, office equipment, accounting software and credit card terminal.
Bizfinity, Inc 2000-2001
Online Sales and Support Executive
- Developed comparative usability tests and survey, videotaped users, compiled and analyzed results for marketing and engineering groups, resulting in User Interface enhancements, increased customer acquisition and Web-site traffic.
- Increased market awareness and company profile by actively soliciting new accounts through remote demos online, trade shows and networking.
- Instrumental in getting customers featured in Wall Street Journal article demonstrating benefits of company’s product.
- Acted as company spokesperson and conducted product demos at trade shows – Internet World, PC Expo, Home Business 2000 Expo.
- Functioned as liaison between customer and marketing, product and engineering departments.
- Trained new employees and customers on online software product.
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
Admissions/ Career Counselor
- Counseled applicants and students in career, personal, financial and academic areas.
- Liaisoned with Bureau of Indian Affairs and T-VI.
- Provided resourceful and sensitive help to the re-entry women, recently widowed or divorced, providing information on community and financial resources as needed.
- Organized first women’s support group for women students in Data Processing program.
- Initiated and coordinated with Governor’s Service Center the first “Women in Transition” Conference and developed and implemented the divorce tract.
- Presented to community groups and schools concerning programs and opportunities.
Chaparral Homes Inc. Realty – Sales Associate
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Listed and sold re-sale single family residences and new construction homes. Top producer for several months.
- Pre-qualified buyers for VA, FHA and conventional loans and accompanied applicants to loan interviews.
Southwest Business College – Admissions Officer
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Addressed high school classes and all-school assemblies throughout Western New Mexico.
- Counseled students and parents of diverse ethnic backgrounds on financial aid, funding procedure for agency students and program and vocational options.
- Developed Careers Slide Presentation with the College Director.
Lane Junior High School and Medford High School – Guidance Counselor
West Allis and Medford, Wisconsin
- Developed group counseling programs for underachieving students.
- Organized and developed screening procedures and effective treatment for Learning Disabled Students in compliance with Wisconsin Chapter 89 Legislation in early seventies.
- Established a personal development program for teen age girls.
- B.S. University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh
- M.S. University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh: Guidance and Counseling
- Mediation Training – University of New Mexico Law School
- Settlement Facilitation Training – Second Judicial District Court – Court Alternatives
- Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education – National 1998-2000
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services Southwest-New Mexico Advisory Council Member since 1996-1999